Comparative study of PMS oxidation with Fenton oxidation as an advanced oxidation process for Co-EDTA decomplexation
- Comparative study of PMS oxidation with Fenton oxidation as an advanced oxidation process for Co-EDTA decomplexation
- SINGH, BHUPENDRA KUMAR; UM, WOO YONG
- Date Issued
- Pergamon Press Ltd.
- In nuclear industry, Co-EDTA complex is generated due to the decontamination activities of nuclear power plants (NPPs). This complex is extremely refractory to the convention methods and can escalate the mobility of Co radionuclide in the environment. Due to its hazardous impact on human and environment, the effective treatments of Co-EDTA complexes are highly recommended. In this study, for the first time, we applied both hydroxyl (OHradical dot) and sulfate radical (SO4radical dot-) based advanced oxidation processes (AOPs) namely Fenton and peroxymonosulfate (PMS) reactions for the Co-EDTA decomplexation. Both reactions exhibited higher Co-EDTA decomplexation at pH = 3, however, the PMS based reaction was found to be superior, which showed highest decomplexation efficiency (without pH adjustment) over Fenton reaction (pH = 1–13). Moreover, PMS based system was found to be more suitable than Fenton reaction, because PMS showed best Co-EDTA decomplexation efficiency without any additional catalyst dosages at the shorter reaction time. XRD data confirmed the presence of both CoO and Co(OH)2 in the precipitates after treatment. The electron spin resonance spectroscopy (ESR) analysis identified OHradical dot and SO4radical dot- in Fenton and PMS system, respectively. From this study, we believe that PMS based reaction is a superior alternative of Fenton reaction for the Co-EDTA decomplexation.
- Article Type
- Chemosphere, vol. 300, 2022-08
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.