Soft-template synthesis of mesoporous non-precious metal catalyst with Fe-N-X/C active sites for oxygen reduction reaction in fuel cells
- Soft-template synthesis of mesoporous non-precious metal catalyst with Fe-N-X/C active sites for oxygen reduction reaction in fuel cells
- Mun, Yeongdong; KIM, MIN JEONG; Park, Shin-Ae; Lee, Eunsung; Ye, Youngjin; Lee, Seonggyu; KIM, YONG TAE; Kim, Sungjun; Kim, Ok-Hee; Cho, Yong-Hun; Sung, Yung-Eun; Lee, Jinwoo
- Date Issued
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV
- We synthesized ordered mesoporous Fe/N/C with highly active Fe-N-X/C sitesdenoted as m-FePhen-C as a non precious metal catalyst (NPMC) for the oxygen reduction reaction in fuel cells. This was the first study that incorporated a catalyst precursor with Fe-N coordination directly in a simple block co-polymer-assisted soft template method for the synthesis of mesoporous Fe/N/C. The synthesized catalyst (m-FePhen-C) showed a high catalytic performance comparable to that of PVC in half-cell tests, and a membrane electrode assembly (MEA) with an m-FePhen-C cathode exhibited 40% higher power density than did an MEA with a commercial Pt/C cathode in single-cell tests, with comparable electrode thicknesses. This result is highly meaningful in that generation of the Fe-N-x/C active sites and formation of ordered mesoporous structure were achieved simultaneously in the simple soft-template-assisted process, and in that the advantages of mesoporous structure with appropriate pore size in metal-containing NPMC were elucidated for high-performance MEAs.
- Article Type
- APPLIED CATALYSIS B-ENVIRONMENTAL, vol. 222, page. 191 - 199, 2018-03
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.