Visualizing Quaternion Multiplication
- Visualizing Quaternion Multiplication
- BAEK, JONGCHAN; HAYEONG, JEON; KIM, GWANGJIN; HAN, SOOHEE
- Date Issued
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc.
- Quaternion rotation is a powerful tool for rotating vectors in 3-D; as a result, it has been used in various engineering fields, such as navigations, robotics, and computer graphics. However, understanding it geometrically remains challenging, because it requires visualizing 4-D spaces, which makes exploiting its physical meaning intractable. In this paper, we provide a new geometric interpretation of quaternion multiplication using a movable 3-D space model, which is useful for describing quaternion algebra in a visual way. By interpreting the axis for the scalar part of quaternion as a 1-D translation axis of 3-D vector space, we visualize quaternion multiplication and describe it as a combined effect of translation, scaling, and rotation of a 3-D vector space. We then present how quaternion rotation formulas and the derivative of quaternions can be formulated and described under the proposed approach.
- Article Type
- IEEE Access, vol. 5, page. 8948 - 8955, 2017-05
- Files in This Item:
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.