Effects of temperature on dynamic compressive properties of Zr-based amorphous alloy and composite
- Effects of temperature on dynamic compressive properties of Zr-based amorphous alloy and composite
- Lee, DG; Kim, YG; Hwang, B; Lee, S; Lee, YT
- Date Issued
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE SA
- This study investigates the high-temperature dynamic compressive deformation behavior of Zr-based amorphous alloy and amorphous matrix composite containing ductile P crystalline phases. Dynamic compressive tests were conducted in the temperature range from room temperature to 380 degrees C using a compressive Kolsky bar, and then the test data were analyzed in relation to microstructure and fracture mode. Dynamic compressive test results indicated that both the maximum compressive stress and the total strain of the amorphous alloy and composite decreased with the increasing test temperature because shear bands could propagate rapidly as the adiabatic heating effect was added at high temperatures. Above the glass transition temperature, total strain decreased more abruptly than that measured between the room temperature and 300 degrees C according to the crystallization of amorphous phases. The maximum compressive stress and the total strain of the amorphous composite were higher than those of the amorphous alloy in the overall test temperature range because P phases played a role in forming multiple shear bands. These findings suggested that applying the evaluation criteria for mechanical properties measured under room temperature quasi-static loading could cause risks when the Zr-based amorphous alloy and composite were used at high temperatures under dynamic loading conditions. (c) 2007 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Zr-based amorphous alloy; composite; crystallization; dynamic compression Kolsky bar; glass transition temperature; BULK METALLIC-GLASS; SUPERCOOLED LIQUID REGION; DEFORMATION-BEHAVIOR; TORSIONAL DEFORMATION; MECHANICAL-PROPERTIES; MATRIX COMPOSITES; PLASTICITY; PHASE
- Article Type
- MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING A-STRUCTURAL MATERIALS PROPERTIES MICROSTRUCTURE AND PROCESSING, vol. 472, no. 1-2, page. 316 - 323, 2008-01-15
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.