Precise determination of fatigue crack closure in Al alloys
- Precise determination of fatigue crack closure in Al alloys
- Lee, CS; Park, CG; Chang, YW
- Date Issued
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE SA LAUSANNE
- The crack closure phenomenon is important when evaluating the effective driving force for crack growth. Hence, the precise measurement of the crack closure load is an essential prerequisite for the determination of the effective stress intensity factor range (Delta K-eff). In the present investigation, an acoustic emission (AE) technique was employed to measure crack closure during the fatigue cycling of Al alloys and the results are compared with those obtained by the crack opening displacement (GOD) method, the back face strain (BFS) gauge method and the surface strain (SS) gauge method. Results show that the intrinsic fatigue crack growth rates (da/dN vs. Delta K-eff) obtained by the AE technique gave the best fit for the high stress ratio (R = 0.8) test, which implies that the AE technique should be considered as a reliable crack closure measurement method.
- acoustic emission technique; aluminum alloys; crack closure load measurement; crack growth rates; TIP
- Article Type
- MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING A-STRUCTURAL MATERIALS PROPERTIES MICROSTRUCTURE AND PROCESSING, vol. 216, no. 1-2, page. 131 - 138, 1996-10-15
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.