Simple Analytical Model of Propagation Through Thick Periodic Slot
- Simple Analytical Model of Propagation Through Thick Periodic Slot
- Dae Woong Woo; Sung Jin Muhn; Park, WS
- Date Issued
- Extraordinary transmission (ET) by a periodic conducting slot at normal incidence has potential applications in the optical and microwave frequencies. This paper presents a simple analytical model to account for the effects of oblique incidence of electromagnetic (EM) waves on a slotted periodic structure. The proposed analytical model, based on Floquet and circuit theory, provides physical insight to explain the reduction of ET frequency when the EM wave strikes the structure obliquely: ET occurs before the onset of the grating lobe. Higher evanescent Floquetmodes contribute to the stored energy that represents fringing capacitance in terms of the incoming wave. Transmission bandwidth and material loading effects are also investigated. When applied on an artificial magnetic conductor (AMC), the model indicates that the thickness of the AMC can be dramatically reduced without any material loading. Results obtained by the analytical models are compared by full-wave simulations.
- Artificial magnetic conductor (AMC); equivalent circuit (EC); extraordinary transmission (ET); oblique incidence; DIELECTRIC-FILLED CORRUGATIONS; RECTANGULAR WAVE-GUIDES; ELECTROMAGNETIC TRANSMISSION; EXTRAORDINARY TRANSMISSION; OPTICAL-TRANSMISSION; BOUNDARY-CONDITIONS; CONDUCTING PLANE; SMALL HOLES; SURFACES; ARRAYS
- Article Type
- IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 60, no. 11, page. 5329 - 5335, 2012-11
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.