Thermodynamic evaluation and optimization of Al-La, Al-Ce, Al-Pr, Al-Nd and Al-Sm systems using the Modified Quasichemical Model for liquids
- Thermodynamic evaluation and optimization of Al-La, Al-Ce, Al-Pr, Al-Nd and Al-Sm systems using the Modified Quasichemical Model for liquids
- Liling Jin; Kang, YB; Patrice Chartrand; Carlton D. Fuerst
- Date Issued
- The Al-La, Al-Ce, Al-Pr, Al-Nd and Al-Sm (Al-light rare earth) binary systems have been systematically assessed and optimized based on the available experimental data and ab-initio data using the FactSage thermodynamic software. Optimized model parameters of the Gibbs energies for all phases which reproduced all the reliable experimental data to satisfaction have been obtained. The optimization procedure was biased by putting a strong emphasis on the observed trends in the thermodynamic properties of Al-RE phases. The Modified Quasichemical Model, which takes short-range ordering into account, is used for the liquid phase and the Compound Energy Formalism is used for the solid solutions in the binary systems. It is shown that the Modified Quasichemical Model used for the liquid alloys permits us to obtain entropies of mixing that are more reliable than that based on the Bragg-Williams random mixing model which does not take short-range ordering into account. (C) 2010 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Aluminum-rare earth alloys; Modified Quasichemical Model; Thermodynamic modeling; Phase diagram; ALUMINIUM-RICH PARTS; RARE-EARTH-METALS; MN-Y SYSTEM; PHASE-EQUILIBRIA; BINARY-SYSTEMS; INTERMETALLIC COMPOUNDS; ALLOYING BEHAVIOR; MOLAR ENTHALPIES; ZN SYSTEMS; MG-CA
- Article Type
- CALPHAD-COMPUTER COUPLING OF PHASE DIAGRAMS AND THERMOCHEMISTRY, vol. 35, no. 1, page. 30 - 41, 2011-03
- Files in This Item:
- There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.